Monday, August 27, 2012

Lunch #4, and Kid Approved Chicken!

Healthy lunch #4. Today I made PB banana bites. Sliced banana's stuck together with natural peanut butter. In the paper cup is Archer Farms All Natural Blueberry Granola with flax seed, Cottage cheese with frozen strawberries, and yellow corn.  A little tip about the berries, I buy frozen for a few reasons, 1 being cost, it's cheaper to buy them frozen, 2- I can get them off season, and 3, they help keep things cold until lunchtime.  I also put a cold pack in the lunch bags though, so everything stays chilled.  


This is the granola that I used in today's lunch:



Unfortunately this is not something that fits into my eating plan, but I do think it's fine for the Kids, it's all natural, and there is only a handful of Ingredients, and sugar is NOT the main one, or even the second or third one.  So this will do for us until I attempt to make my own!

Speaking of making, today I am making a jumbo batch of Whole Wheat Waffles.  I am going to freeze them, so that I have them on hand for breakfasts and lunches.  All I will have to do is take them out of the freezer and pop them in the toaster oven!  The kids will be thrilled, they love having a variety of breakfast options.  Here is the post that has my original recipe for the waffles. I have 2 over ripe bananas on the counter that I need to use or lose, so I think I will add them to the waffle batter :

  • Whole Wheat Banana Waffles
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 3/4 cups almond milk
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Splenda
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 mashed bananas


All done, coming soon to a lunchbox near you!



For dinner I am making Best Foods Parmesan Crusted Chicken.  The nutrition info says that it only comes out to 2 carbs per serving, even with using the 4 tsp of bread crumbs.  I am going to do a slight modification, and hopefully cut that carb count in half.

My version:

1 cup mayo
3/4 cup parm cheese
7-8 boneless skinless chicken breast
4 tsp Italian bread crumbs
4 tsp flax seed meal
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 425

Combine mayo with cheese in medium bowl.

Combine bread crumbs, flax seed meal, garlic, cayenne, and salt in separate bowl

Coat chicken with mayo mixture, then sprinkle with dry mixture


 Arrange chicken on baking sheet.  Bake 20 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.

My Notes:  I used a pastry brush to brush the mayo/cheese mixture on the chicken. 

I used an old spice container I had laying around to sprinkle the dry mixture over the chicken breasts.

I cooked 9 small breasts for 25 minutes.


After his first bite Andrew piped up with "wow, the Chicken is Excellent!".  Kate told him he sounded like a food critic... Fine by me, as long as the critiques remain positive ;)

I was so excited to get back to morning stadiums this morning, and then I over slept!  Dang it!  So that didn't work out how I hoped.  I did make it to class, and Danielle was able to join me for that, so that was fun! I am going to head out to the High School this evening in an attempt to make up for this morning, hopefully it cools down a bit before then! 

So, what have you done today to get closer to your goals? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment