Wednesday, August 22, 2012

School Lunches and Breakfast...for Dinner!



My school year resolution is healthier lunches for the kids. So I have googled, and pinterested, and brainstormed, and I think I have come up with a good variety of healthier options, that the kids will enjoy.  (here are a few places I got some ideas http://easylunchboxes.smugmug.com/The-Best-Lunchbox-System/Yummy-Lunch-Ideas/10136835_YSuyb#!i=696914291&k=YxmUdhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/mslil65/1637854803/in/set-72157601755804789/ - on this one scroll through the album, hover of the picture for names of food items) Now, keep in mind, I am new at this.  I do have some not so healthy stuff still in the cupboards, and I plan to use it up and phase it out.  So for the first few weeks there might be a questionable treat lurking among the otherwise healthy lunch (who am I kidding, even after the first few weeks I fully intend to give them the occasional treat).  The picture above was today's lunch.  Ham slices rolled with cream cheese in the middle, baby dill pickles, all natural veggie chips, mandarin oranges in juice, and 2 Snackwell's cookies. The kids love the new system, and both enjoyed their lunch.  My goal is to train them on how to assemble a healthy balanced lunch at some point so that I can relinquish my lunch making duties!

While we are on the topic of the lunches, I did a store run today to finish my shopping list for them.  Some of the things I have gathered as options are: 100 % whole wheat tortillas (for wraps, quesadillas, etc), ham, turkey, laughing cow cheeses, cottage cheese, berries, veggie chips (all natural organic from trader joes), oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (all natural organic from trader joes), triscuts, baby carrots, apples, pinapple chunks in juice no added sugar, mandarin oranges in juice no added sugar, pickles, Whole wheat organic pretzel rods, boiled eggs, bananas, and some other things that I am sure I am forgetting, but will show up in pictures later!

I tried a new addition to my yogurt this morning.  I took 4 strawberries and pureed them, added 1 tablespoon of spelnda, and mixed it with 1/3 cup of yogurt.  I think I might be able to actually enjoy it this way.  I'm sure it's easier to just cut them up and throw them in, but I have never liked chunky fruit yogurt...!  I think I might try mixing some up and letting it sit in the freezer for a bit to make some sort of a sorbet. That'll have to be another post.

Tonight for dinner we made Baked Egg Baskets, Whole Wheat toast (100% Whole wheat double fiber bread from Oroweat), and cottage cheese with frozen berries (organic, no sugar added).

Egg Baskets!
12 Eggs (or however many you wish to make!)
12 thin slices of ham (round) 
1/2 Cup of  cheese (I used shredded cheddar)
1/2 Cup diced scallions
Fresh cracked Sea Salt and Pepper
Preheat the oven to 400.  Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.  Lay a piece of ham in each hole creating a little ham cup.  Crack one egg into each hole and sprinkle with salt and pepper. (I found it easiest to lay the ham flat across the hole, and while cracking the egg kind of pushing the ham down, hard to explain...)

Bake the egg for about 12 minutes, until the whites are firm.
Carefully remove each egg from the tray and top with cheese and scallions


I have already been brainstorming ways to tweak and evolve this recipe. I was thinking little personal sized quiche would be fun.  Instead of just cracking the egg into the cup, you could whisk the eggs, add some veggies and pour them in.  I might do some experimenting next week with that, so stay tuned!
Oh!  And since I am here typing, I guess you know I survived teaching my class last night!  Unfortunately only 2 people showed up to take it... I am hoping it has a lot to do with the fact that it was the night before the first day back to school... Hopefully I will get a better turn out tomorrow.  After that I ran over to Oasis and took Muscle Conditioning.  I added up all my time and came up with just shy of 4 hours of exercise yesterday, phew!  This morning I did stadiums and went to Intervals class, it was a combination of weights and cardio.  I am sore, and tired, and think I am done for the day!  We'll see though, I say that, and then feel lazy and end up doing something, so you never know!


No comments:

Post a Comment