Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Trick your brain

Truth!

That's exactly what I did this morning.... It's not quite 7:00 am and I have a 3 mile jog under my belt.  Woo hoo!

I did attempt the run that I was so scared of yesterday.  I made it 17 minutes in, and broke... I took a 2 minute walk, and then ran 5 more. It's a fail, and a win, really.  A fail because according to the "couch to 5k" program, I should be up to the level I need to be at to do the 20 minutes stretch, and I'm not.... but a win because 5 weeks ago I could barely run 3 minutes straight, forget 17! This morning my running buddy wasn't up for the challenge of the 20 minute run, so we did 2 10 minute runs, with a 4 minute walk in between.  2.96 miles in 31 minutes.... I'll take it for now. We have 2 5k runs coming up next month that we are doing all this training for, our goal has been to be able to run the entire 3.2 miles without stopping.... it's crunch time!

Tonight is Muscle Conditioning at the gym.  Great class, somewhat of an interval style, but all strength, and hardly any cardio.  I can always feel the effects of this class the next day, and I love it!  That'll put me at 3 cardio workouts, and one weight work out so far for the week. So that covers the exercise portion of the day, now on to the food... :)

My mom left me with some delicious looking organic home grown squash!  So I spent some time on Pinterest.com looking for a fun way to use them, and I decided to try Squash fritters.  The recipe calls for 4 tablespoons of flour, and makes 12 fritters, so that is about 1/3 tbs per fritter.... I'd prefer none, but this recipe did use the least flour of all the recipes I found, and I will sub whole wheat flour.  I will also add some chopped garlic, and finely chopped onion, just for a little more flavor.

I think I am going to pair these with a Pork tenderloin.  I have a great marinade that I got a hold of years ago (remember this one, Pam??).  I will give the original recipe, and also how I have altered it to fit my needs.

Original Recipe:

Marinade for BBQ Pork Tenderloin:
1/4 cup of soy sauce
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 bunch of green onions

Altered Recipe:
1/4 cup of soy sauce
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 bunch of green onions

I usually double this for a larger tenderloin, and I let it marinade through the day.

Happy Cooking!

OH!  I promised to blast my failures on here to keep things real, so I have to come clean that I didn't stick to my plan yesterday.... I did up until dinner (aside from adding 1/2 cup of cottage cheese as a snack before my run, because I wasn't eating dinner until after my run).  But then, after dinner, and while I was sitting here stalking the school registration web site hoping for an opening in the nutrition class I wanted... I fell victim to temptation by ice cream.   Ironic...?  eating ice cream while trying to get into a nutrition class... I think so.  But, I have to say, it was low fat, no sugar added Ice cream, and it was only 1/2 a cup... but it was a fail, none the less!

today's Menu

Breakfast:
1/2 cup of cottage cheese w/ salt and pepper
8 cherub tomatoes
Americano w/splenda, sugar free caramel and 1/8 cup of half and half

Lunch:
light salami
cheese
pickles

Dinner:
see above
salad

snacks:
pickles
string cheese
atkins bar






No comments:

Post a Comment