Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Swim caps and bathing suit skirts? Nope, not your Grandma's water Aerobics

senior citizens swimming

Grandma and her swim buddies are savages! Don't be fooled!  A water workout is no joke!

I started the day with Stadiums, followed my Intervals class.  Cardio day, my favorite!  It was a good class, 1 minute intervals of 7 different exercises (sprints, jump squats, speed skaters, basketball jumps, foot ball run, cross jacks, and froggers) we repeated the set 3 times, with Ab Tabatas in between.  For the Tabatas there was a total of three, 1 was bicycle abs, 1 was full crunches, and one was russian twists.  I can feel the twists today!  

After class it was time to see what these water aerobics were all about!  Katie found and tried a workout on Pinterest, and I was excited to try it out as well!  


Warm Up: 5 minutes- Laps

30 seconds - Tread water, Legs only
30 seconds- tread water, hands only
2 mins- water at shoulder height, Jumping Jacks
2 minutes - water at shoulder height, Sprinting
2 minutes - Laps, Dolphin swim

Repeat 3 times

Cool Down- 3 minutes- Laps

Sounds easy enough, right?  Wrong!  Have you ever swam laps for 5 minutes?  Non stop, back and forth, kicking, arms, whole shebang.... 5 minutes feels like an eternity.... In fact I said "This is the longest 5 minutes ever!!"  Katie's response: "that's how I feel when we are running!!"  Point taken. 

After surviving the "warm up" it was on to the next step.  Treading water, while holding your hands up in the air... I knew right away this was going to be a challenge.... I can swim, I am not a swimmer, however.  So anyway, I spent most of the 30 seconds on this one bobbing under the water, fail.  Next, tread water, no kicking,  I got this.  The jumping jacks and the sprinting were completely do able, and very effective.  My arms felt like jello after wards, and I could definitely feel the sprinting in my outer thighs and glutes.  Next, Dolphin swim, oh my.  Back to how I said I am not a swimmer,  I have a sorry excuse for form in any stroke, my go to is doggy paddle... lol. First of all, I didn't have a clue what it even was... luckily Katie gave me a you tube tutorial.... Imagine how much worse it could have been without one.  I decided it resembles doing "The worm"... so envision that, with frog swim arms.... that's what I created to get through those two minutes.  I could definitely feel it working my core, and if I had done it correctly I would probably not be able to bend at the waist today.... At the tail end of the third set, right around Worm time, we decided we would combine those 2 minutes with the 3 minute "cool down" since the 2 minutes of dolphin swim kind of turned into freestyle anyway! so here came another 5 minutes of laps, Not my idea of a cool down!  But all in all, it was effective,  my body and muscles felt tired afterwards, but I wasn't in pain anywhere which was nice!   I would totally do it again, if nothing else for the laughter.

That completed my work outs for yesterday.  I was pretty wore out for the remainder of the day actually!!  Can't say I got much else accomplished at all.  LoL.  Today will be better.

Started the day with stadiums again, and this time I mapped it.... approximately 2.3 miles.  I started it late, so I might be off a little, I'm going to try to do it more accurately tomorrow.  On my way home from the high school I was mentally planning the rest of my day... Laundry, chores, bills, errands, when I remembered that today was the day, the day I said I would conquer that 20 minute jog.  I absolutely tried to talk myself out of it, put it off, think of excuses, but my "passion" won, and I decided I would pull up at the house, and just go get it done.  And I DID!  I did 1.94 miles in 22 minutes, and I ran the entire 20 minute stretch without stopping.  Mission accomplished!  Finally.  

Tonight is Muscle conditioning, yahoo!  I am looking forward to it like always!

Fish and shrimp is on the menu for tonight.  I was going to make Sour Cream and Bacon Chicken in the crock pot, but I forgot to defrost the chicken, oops.  So it is defrosting now, and hopefully I can make that tomorrow.  So for today I have some cod fillets and shrimp out.  I think I will grill the fish on the BBQ, wrap them in foil with a little butter, garlic, salt and pepper... and saute the shrimp in some butter and garlic.  Quick, easy, and healthy, perfect! 

Here is a little fun fact I will leave you with today.... I have to remind myself of it a few times a day.... try it!  :)

.





No comments:

Post a Comment