Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Intervals, Stadiums, and jogging... oh my.

true

Let me start by saying, I did not succeed on getting Ari to go run with me on Sunday night.  I don't know how he thinks he is going to do this mud run in September if he doesn't start running!  But, that brings me to my first topic of this post... Don't let other peoples commitment level effect your own.  It is awesome to have work out buddies!  It's motivating, it can hold you accountable, and it can make the time pass faster, just don't let it hinder you.  It is really easy to become codependent on a work out buddy, and think that you can't do it on your own.  Don't lose sight of why you are working out, for YOU.  So just because your buddy can't make it to the gym today, or doesn't feel like going for a jog after work, Or is on vacation for the week, that doesn't mean you can't do it without them! Make the best of it, and go enjoy the time to yourself, and get your workout on!

So since I got shot down on the run idea, I decided to just do a workout here at home.  I wrote up an intervals routine, and did it in our backyard "gym".  I think I was a bit hard on myself when I wrote this torture device though, feel free to give it a whirl and let me know what you think!!



Warm up: 

Do each for 30 seconds 

Jumping jacks 
Squats
Jump Rope 
Jog in place 
Seal Jacks
Jump Rope 

Do each of the following sets twice. After you complete a set, take a 30 second break, and then repeat it.

First Set 

Butt Kickers : 1 minute 
Bicep curls – 2 sets of 8
Jump rope – 1 minute 
Tricep press – 2 sets of 8
High Knees – 1 minute 

Second Set 

Standing Mountain Climbers – 1 minute
Hammer Curls – 2 sets of 8 
Speed Skaters – 1 minute 
Shoulder rows – 2 sets of 8 
Jump squats – 1 minute (squat, then jump to standing position, repeat) 

Third Set 

Burpees – 1 minute
Shoulder Press – 2 sets of 8
Jumping jacks – 1 minute 
Plank – 45 seconds 
Football run/fast feet – 1 minute

I lived through it, and felt accomplished afterwards, even if I did think I was going to die on that second round of Burpees!

Yesterday Morning we did Stadiums, and I planned on going to class afterwards.  But I was worried about making my lunch plans in time if I did that, so instead I came home and did my own cardio intervals.  It was only about 30 ish minutes, but i figured it was better than nothing!

Cardio Intervals

First Set: 1 minute each, 30 second break between each.  Repeat twice -(I went back and forth across the yard)

Sprints
Butt Kickers
Skipping
Walking Lunges

Second Set: Stationary. 30 seconds each, 30 second after ever 4 exercises

High Knees
Jump Rope
Jog in Place
 Mountain Climbers

Break

Ski Downs
Power Squats
Jumping Jack
Jumping Heisman

Repeat 

I had lunch with some of my favorites at a little Diner in Willows.  They were accommodating with my pickiness, and I had a Bacon cheeseburger with no bun, and a Side salad.  We got home a little after 3:00 and I realized I had no plan of what to do for dinner, oops.  I did a quick inventory of what I had and got creative.  Chili Dogs... who doesn't love those?  :)

Chili

1 lb ground turkey
1 lb Sausage
4 cups diced tomatoes (I puree them)
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
Diced Garlic
Diced Onions
Diced Jalapenos
Onion powder
Cumin
Cayenne Pepper
Oregano
Salt
Pepper
Red Chili Flakes

Brown meats together in pan, with garlic and onion.

Combine all ingredients in crock pot, cook for 3-4 hours.

Everything without a measurement is just to your taste, I didn't measure anything.  We had the chili with Turkey dogs and some shredded cheese.  Yum!

After I had that all figured out, I squeezed in a jog at the gym (another 20 minute jog, conquered!).  This morning when I got up to get ready to meet Carrie for stadiums, my body was definitely cursing me out for all the exercise I subjected it to yesterday.  I was so sore that I considered cancelling and staying in bed!  But I talked myself out of that and went.  I feel a little less sore now, after working out, but not 100 %, so I hereby solemnly swear not to do anymore cardio for the rest of the day!  I will however be attending Muscle Conditioning tonight :)

Lastly I thought I would leave you with a copy of the food plan that I follow.  Or pretty close to anyway.

Bad List 
Sugar (to include hidden sugars e.g. orange juice) 
Breads/baked goods and flour 
Potatoes 
Yogurt 
Beer 
White wine 
Bananas 

So-So List
Serving Size = tennis ball
Pasta
Rice 

Good List
Everything else.  You can eat any meats, 
fruits, vegetables, or nuts that aren’t listed 
above.  Dairy products are also good.  There 
is no need to limit portion size. 
Red Wine may be consumed in moderation. 

Phase 1 
(Restrictive) 
Nothing from the Bad List 
1-2 Servings/week from So-So List 
As much as you want from the Good List 
Use Phase 1 for 4 weeks 
This should help with the cravings and 
give you impressive results. 
You may be hungry between meals for 1-
2 weeks.  Eat snacks from the good list.  

Phase 2 
(Maintenance) 
2-3 servings/week from Bad List 
3-4 servings/week from So-So List 
As much as you want from the Good list

Cheat day 1 time/week 










No comments:

Post a Comment