Monday, November 5, 2012

Weekly Prep

On Sundays I try and make some stuff in bulk that I can freeze and use through out the week.  Yesterday I made waffles, egg mcmuffins, shredded chicken, and bread (attempted...).

Lets start with the Waffles.  I got the recipe from 100 Days of Real Food, ( recipe, here). I double the amounts, and instead of oil, I added pumpkin (because as I will share later, I have LOTS of pumpkin).  Doubled, it makes 10 waffles, I quarter them, and stick them in the freezer.  The kids love them, they hate when our freezer stash runs out, they have them for breakfast, and use them to make sandwiches for lunch.  I have even been know to snag one here and there and spread a little natural PB on it and enjoy.


Next we made Egg McMuffins.  I use a muffin tin to bake the eggs, then I add a slice of ham, a slice of cheese, and one of the baked eggs to a whole wheat english muffin, bag it, and stick it in the freezer.  Another super easy, and yummy, breakfast on the go.

I stuck 6 completely frozen chicken breast in the crockpot yesterday morning, added some garlic, minced onion, diced green chilis and a little salsa, and let it cook on low allllll day.  I shredded the chicken, and will use it to make Chicken tacos tonight, and probably chicken taco salad later this week.

Lastly, I attempted to make Whole Wheat Honey Bread.  I was so excited to find a recipe for the bread machine!  Unfortunately, I thought it was a quick bread, I didn't realize it needed yeast, and I didn't have it!  I stupidly hoped baking powder and baking soda would suffice, I was WRONG.  It was like a boulder, hard as can be!  Total Fail.  So I will be buying some yeast today, and trying again!

Now, about the pumpkin.... Andrew brought home a HUGE pumpkin, at least 25-30 lbs, from school.  He won it in a raffle.



So I chopped it up and cooked it. And cooked it.... and Cooked it!  Holy Pumpkin!


Each bag has 4 cups, the small container has 4 cups, and the large container has 10 cups!  Hence the pumpkin waffles.  And this week I will be baking pumpkin bread, and muffins!  Recipes to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment