Monday, November 19, 2012

Panting is my new breathing...

Just walking across the room lately has me out of breath!  apparently shortness of breath is common, but it's nothing I had ever heard of before, so it threw me for a loop.  I first noticed last week when I was trying to do my morning run, halfway through my first lap I was gasping for air, not at all normal for me.  Since then it has progressed, and now just pushing a cart through the store has me winded!  It has made exercising hard, but I am trying my best not to get discouraged and give up.  I just take it easy in my class, and I do a lot more walking than I used to on my "runs" (if I can still call them that!).  The only thing that is hard is the classes I instruct, I haven't let the cat out of the bag yet, so I have to try my best to keep my intensity up so they don't think something is up.  Last week I did use my knee as an excuse, I might need to stick with that for a whole longer until this "exhausted" phase passes!

On a different not, I have eaten everything in site for the past week and a half, and that stops today!  I told myself last week that when I got back from Tahoe, that was it!  So I am back on the wagon.  I am veering away from my no carb eating plan, and I am going to follow a whole food plan, much like what I feed the kids.  No refined flours and sugars, whole foods, all natural.  I decided I would also track my calories to be sure I am staying withing a healthy range.  According to http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm I should have about 2300 a day during my first trimester.  That seemed really high, so I also checked http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/calculate-calories-needed-during-pregnancy-1600.html and it also said about 2300.  However, most sites also say 300 more calories a day than what you were eating, and I was eating 1300-1500.  So I am going to aim for about 2000 calories a day.  Keep in mind, that amount takes into consideration the amount of exercise I do, and I will be verifying it with my Doctor at my appointment next week.

Today for breakfast I had protien shake (a double one actually) 235 calories.  For a mid morning snack a sprouted wheat Bagel from Trader Joes (yum!!) with a laughing cow cheese spread, 285 calories. For lunch I had a can (2 servings) of all natural tomato garden soup and a slice of whole wheat bread, 310 calories.  So far I am at 820 calories for the day.  I will have another snack this afternoon before I teach my class, and then dinner when I get home.

Speaking of dinner, tonight is breakfast.  I am making crustless quiche.  Eggs, sausage, cheese, broccoli, and olives.  Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment