Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Jalapeno Popper Quiche and Baby Beef and Veggies

My sweet girl has been anything but sweet today, however I still managed to get dinner pre made, and stock the freezer with a new food option for her.

For us I made Jalapeno Popper Quiche.

Bacon Jalapeno Popper Quiche
 


Ingredients
  • Two low carb tortillas
  • ½ cup cream cheese, room temperature
  • 2 jalapenos, diced (deseed for less heat)
  • 1 jalapeno, sliced into rounds (for top) (I mostly deseeded these as well)
  • 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp and coarsley chopped
  • ½ cup whipping cream
  • ½ cup half-and-half
  • 5 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • salt
  • ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • optional-light sour cream
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Line bottom of dish (9x9 pyrex is what I used) with tortillas
  3. warm tortillas in the microwave for 1-2 minutes
  4. While the crust is hot, spread the cream cheese all over the bottom as evenly as possible
  5. Sprinkle the diced jalapenos over the cream cheese (the rounds are for garnish later on)
  6. Put the cream and half-and-half into a small pot and put it over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tiny bubbles appear around the edges. Scald (where you bring it to just under the boiling point) until very hot, but not boiling
  7. Beat the eggs together in a bowl
  8. Add the hot cream mixture to the eggs, whisking constantly to combine
  9. Add the paprika, salt and bacon
  10. Pour into the crust and bake for 30 minutes
  11. Remove from oven, arrange the jalapeno slices on top, sprinkle with cheese and bake until the cheese has melted and turned golden brown, about 15-20 minutes (the original recipe said 12-15 minutes, but I did closer to 20. Check at 12 minutes, every couple of minutes)



Going in the oven....




Almost done, just need to top with cheese...



I have made this before, and it's a hit with everyone.  I'd like to make it crustless, and I planned to today, but I forgot that the cream cheese is spread onto the crust, so I couldn't figure out a way to do it without using SOMETHING as a base under the cream cheese.

While that was in the oven I prepared the food for the baby "stew".  I guess it's really beef and veggies, but it looks like stew :)  a few notes on my recipe below...1. I made this up, I didn't find it anywhere with rave reviews, it's just my own trial and error. 2. I used frozen green beans because it's what I had. 3. I used all natural 100% organic vegetable stock my Swansons.




 Baby Beef and Veggies

1 lb sirloin steak
1.5 cups carrots
1.5 cups cut green beans
4 cups vegetable stock
  • Cube sirlion into 1 inch cubes
  • Combine beef and veggies in a good size pot with half the vegetable stock, heat on low.  Bring to simmer and cover.
  • Add more stock as needed.
  • Simmer for 1-2 hours, until meat is tender.
  • Transfer to blender/baby bullet and puree to desired consitency, add stock as needed.
  • pour into storage containers and freeze
One other note, this was too much for my baby bullet to handle.  It froze up on me twice to I finally transferred to to my big blender and finished up the job.



The above recipe made these 17 (approximately) 2.5 ounce servings. Since they are in the picture, lets talk about the containers.  I gave some container info and preference in my last blog, since then I have ordered and used these.  I scored 20 on Ebay for $7.99.  They are 2.7 ounces, bpa free, and freezer/microwave safe.



So there you go... those are my two morning accomplishments.  Now back to my screaming little angel  :)











No comments:

Post a Comment